Follow our best tips for Shopping in Lisbon and find unconventional souvenirs, from a great selection of traditional or modern goods.
Lisbon souvenir ideas
Looking to buy some quality Portuguese gifts and souvenirs? Don’t stress, here’s some shopping ideas in Lisbon for typical Portuguese products:
- Soaps and creams of old brands;
- Handmade ceramic products;
- Cork products (bags, wallets, jewellery and others);
- Tiles (decorative);
- Portuguese Jewellery (Filigrana);
- Ginginha (sweet cherry liqueur);
- Pasteis de Belém (custard tarts);
- Canned fish.
Products from international brands
Clothes, shoes, suitcases, fashion items, accessories, jewelry, watches and household goods can be found in international brand stores located in:
- Baixa and Chiado;
- Avenida da Liberdade and Rua Castilho;
- Shopping Malls such as Amoreiras, Colombo and Vasco da Gama.
For instance, in Avenida da Liberdade you will find several international fashion and watches brands, such as Armani, Gucci, Burberry, Michael Kors, Versace, Boss, Ermenegildo Zegna; Louis Vuitton, Loewe, Timberland, Bvlgari, Cartier, Max Mara, Chanel Stivali, Prada, Adolfo Dominguez, Longchamp, Tod’s, Furla, Montblanc, Carolina Herrera, A. Lange & Sohne.
Food, beverages and other everyday products can be bought from:
- Traditional Markets, that mainly sell fresh produce, i.e. vegetables, fruit, fish, meat and bread;
- Grocery stores – are smaller in size and mainly located in the most historic neighborhoods;
- Supermarkets – are scattered throughout the city and are sometimes associated with the main distribution chains in Portugal;
- Supermarkets of organic products – are still few, but their number has been increasing;
- Hypermarkets – with wider choice of products than the supermarket and located outside the city centre, or in its periphery;
- Shopping centres – are the best places for doing some last minute shopping, as they have several shops offering a wide variety of products. In addition, it usually has a supermarket or a hypermarket;
Traditional products and “other gems”
Traditional products and “other gems” can be found at:
- LX Factory (Alcântara) – today is an “alternative” shopping center, but that was formerly an area of warehouses and factories;
- Mercado da Ribeira (Santos) – it is currently called “Time Out Market”;
- Vida Portuguesa (Chiado, Intendente, Santos);
- Feira da Ladra (São Vicente) – Flea market where you can find antiques and secondhand products. Here you don’t need to spend a lot of money to buy some rarities. Markets days are Tuesdays and Saturdays, in the morning.
- Crafts stores;
- Bookstores and used bookstores;
- Music Shops;
- Portuguese Jewellers;
- Art Galleries;
- Fashion and Fashion Accessories stores.
Less expensive products
You can shop at reasonable prices at the Outlets located outside the city (Strada Outlet, Freeport Lisboa Fashion Outlet and Campera Outlet Shopping), where you have a wide range of products. Here you will find clothes, footwear, home items and many others of the very best National and International brands.
Sales: Retailers to clear stocks, offer strong discounts in season sales. These can take place at any time during the year, occurring, normally, 2 times a year:
– Summer sales (from the middle of July to the middle of September);
-Winter sales (from the end of December to the end of February).
Tips for Tax refunds: If you live outside the European Union you can shop and get a refund of VAT (Value Added Tax) either in cash or by credit card. To do so, please request the “Tax free” form in the stores and on the day of your departure, submit it to the customs services and recover the tax at the refund desk.
Learn more about how to use Tax-free and Duty-Free.
Places to Visit in Lisbon
- TOP 10 Lisbon Attractions: Best Places and Activities
- 6 Best Day Trips around Lisbon: explore more of Portugal
More Portugal Travel Destinations
- Alentejo: Self-guided walking tour in Mértola, Portugal
- Alentejo: Castro Verde, Portugal: Self-guided walking tour
- Aljezur, Algarve: Self-guided walking tour in Aljezur, Portugal
- Algarve: Self-guided walking tour in Lagos, Portugal
- Algarve: Self-guided walking tour in Portimão, Portugal
- Lisbon: Lisbon: Ultimate Travel Guide and Itineraries
- Lisbon: Self-guided walking tour in Palmela, Portugal
- Centre: Self-guided walking tour in Golegã: Horse Capital of Portugal
- Azores: Terceira Island Travel Guide, Azores
|To learn more about other LikedPlaces, go to our Destinations in Portugal page.|
Save to Pinterest!
Did you like this post? Please share it with your friends!